Home > FAQ



1. About the Program

Q. How many students will be admitted to GPES?
A. GPES is designed to accommodate approximately 13 GPES Masters Course students and 10 GPES Ph.D. Course students each year.

Q. How many years are students expected to spend for the Masters Course?
A. Typically two years.

Q. How many years are students expected to spend for the Ph.D. Course?
A. This Ph.D. Course is intended following the Masters Course; intended to finish typically in three years.

Q. Do I need to have studied Japanese to apply to the GPES program?
A. No, there is no need to have studied Japanese in advance when applying.

Q. Will my chances of being accepted improve if I have studied Japanese?
A. No, it will neither increase nor decrease your likelihood of being accepted to the program.

Q. I am currently taking Japanese language lessons. Do I need to provide any certificates or test results to prove my Japanese language ability when I apply?
A. There is no need to submit proof of your Japanese language ability as part of your application package, although you are welcome to do so. If you have learned some Japanese in advance, it might be easier for you to spend Japanese daily life in less constrained condition.

Q. Who will be teaching the GPES classes?
A. Some of the classes will be taught by professors appointed specifically for this program, and who received their degrees overseas. In addition, as both programs are interdisciplinary and broad-based in scope, classes will also be offered by other faculty members from a wide range of departments across the University.

Q. How much is the tuition?
A. The annual tuition is 535,800 yen. A one-time enrollment fee of 282,000 is charged at enrollment.

Q. Is the tuition fee for international students the same as for Japanese students?
A. Yes, tuition is the same for everyone. There is no separate tuition rate for international students.

2. Eligibility Questions

Q. I have Japanese nationality. Can I still apply to GPES?
A. There are no restrictions based on nationality. The schedule you can apply for depends on where you graduated. Those graduated from a university outside of Japan are welcome to apply for both Schedule 1 and 2. Those graduated from a Japanese University can only apply for Schedule 2. Please refer to the Guidelines for Applicants to check the eligibility details for Masters Course and Ph.D. Course, respectively.

Q. Some years have passed since my university graduation. Can I still apply to GPES?
A. Yes, you can apply to GPES as long as you have completed 16 years of education and meet the eligibility requirements. There is no maximum age limit for applying to GPES.

Q. Do I have to submit a GRE score record?
A. In order to evaluate students with different educational backgrounds equally, we ask our applicants to submit a GRE score. There is no exceptions will be made for applicants in this category.

Q. What kind of subjects should I have studied to enter the GPES program?
A. This depends on your research field. First of all please consult one or more of your preferred supervisors.

3. Application Process

Q. Will I have to travel to Japan to be interviewed?
A. There is no need to travel to Japan during the admissions process Any interviews will be conducted through the internet in the country in which you currently reside, in principle.

Q: How can I pay the application fee, by credit card or by bank transfer?
A: Applicants living outside Japan should pay the application fee by credit card. Please visit the website (https://e-shiharai.net/english/) and follow the procedure.
Applicants living in Japan can pay by bank transfer, by credit card or at a convenience store. Further details are given on the website.

Q. I do not have a credit card. Can I send the application fee through a bank?
A. Yes, you can. Please follow the instructions in the Application Guidelines (under "Application Fee").

Q. Are there required minimum scores for the TOEFL and GRE when applying?
A. We do not provide specific minimum scores for the results. However, the submitted scores should show an outstanding level of academic excellence that is generally expected of incoming graduate students of the University of Tokyo.

Q. How old can my TOEFL and GRE scores be?
A. TOEFL scores are valid for two years. For GRE we ask you to submit a test taken within the last three years upon application.

4. After the Application

Q. How will I receive the results for my application?
A. The application number of successful applicants will be posted on the GPES website on January 13, 2017 (Schedule 1) or on October 2, 2017 (Schedule 2). The admission certificate will be sent by postal mail on the same day. Unsuccessful candidates will not be notified.

Q. How long do I have before I decide whether I will accept the admissions offer?
A. Those who decide to accept the offer must send in their letter of intent to register by late April for enrolment in October 2014 (Schedule 1) or by early-October for enrollment April 2015.

5. Scholarships

Q. What kinds of scholarships are available?
A. GPES has full, dedicated scholarships available for both Masters and PhD courses provided by MEXT. Each year there are 5 MEXT scholarships available for Masters courses and 3 MEXT scholarships available for PhD courses. For details, visit the GPES Scholarships page. In addition, a number of the University of Tokyo Scholarships may be available for the students which will provide a part of the tuition and living expenses. Scholarships from several private foundations may also be available. These scholarships may vary in the eligibility and the extent of coverage. To apply scholarships, students are requested to submit a registration form to the Support Center of Komaba International Office (Komaba IO). The forms will be accepted twice a year, in March and September. For details, visit the following website.

6. Accommodation

Q. Is accommodation available at the University?
All new students entering the University of Tokyo on the GPES program may have an opportunity to live in the housing provided by the University (Students are free to live in private accommodation if they wish). The locations and the fees for the accommodations will be posted when determined. Further information on accommodation can be found here.

7. Other

Q. I have a physical disability and have special needs in the classroom and in everyday life. Who can I consult about this?
A. The University of Tokyo firmly believes that all students, including students with special needs, should be ensured the same opportunity in their learning at the University. Please contact the GPES Admissions Office so the University can make necessary arrangements.

Q. If I have other questions regarding the admissions process, whom can I contact? And how?
A. You can contact the GPES Admissions Office via the inquiry form on our website, or by phone or fax. (Our preferred method is the inquiry form on the website.) Our contact information is here.

Q. Can family members come with me to Japan?
A. Yes, but the University of Tokyo will only provide visa support and housing only for the attending student. You will have to arrange their visa and accommodations on your own.

Go to page top